Cheesy Penne with Broccoli
by Brittany Ray, adapted from Cooking Light March 2013 edition
Keywords: boil simmer entree broccoli cheddar cheese pasta
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 8 oz. uncooked mini penne pasta (I used whole wheat)
- 5 cups broccoli florets
- 1 1/3 cups fat free milk, divided
- 2 tbs. all-purpose flour
- 3 tbs. grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tbs. 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Cook pasta according to package directions. During the last 3 minutes of cooking add broccoli. Once pasta is done, drain and place in a large bowl. Set aside.
In a saucepan, combine milk and flour over medium heat, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Cook 5 minutes or until slightly thickened; remove from heat. Add 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese and remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk until smooth.
Add cheese mixture to pasta mixture; toss.
Sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese.